Sunday, June 04, 2006

Another rideless week

No SWC ride Thursday night - spectacular thunderstorms, perfectly timed. Flooded roads, frequent lightning, heavy downpours. Still 20+ people at the pizza gathering, and Judy gave me a book, "50 Bike Rides in Upstate New York", from the Cranks from Cooperstown. EXCELLENT book of tours in the Cooperstown/Canajoharie/Amsterdam area. She thought it might be helpful for my Glimmerglass trip. Little did she know...

I've been reevaluating that whole thing. Why go US 20, with all those hills, when I can ride 40-45 miles along the river to Canajoharie or Fort Plain, do one 12-mile uphill, and then cruise into the campground 6 miles later? The distance added is about 8-10 miles (~60-65 total), but it may well be a better way to go. Thanks, Judy, for the book, and its possible routes!

Secondly, the packing list. I'm afraid that if I continue to try to do the "ultimate packing list" NOW, I may never get out the door this summer. It may be enough for the moment to figure out the packing list FOR THIS TRIP, and be successful with it, and then adjust later for other trips as needed based on the experience gained. Baby steps...

Third, drove to Cooperstown this rainy weekend with Holly and her mother, for a Grandma Moses exhibit at the Fenimore House. The hills on US 20 are truly daunting, but I'm still thinking about maybe returning home that way. It's more downhill than up eastbound, but still VERY hilly. If I do that, then NY 7 east from Duanesburg is a pretty good road, mostly with shoulders, and mostly downhill to Rotterdam. Otsego County 31, down the east side of the lake, was just paved, not yet even relined, but looks like a good route, with lots of rolling hills and not much traffic. Cooperstown is a bustling little town, and mid-week makes even more sense now, after seeing it on a very rainy summer weekend day. Lots of places to spend some time, and plenty of good eats.

Today was a possible ride day, but the weather was cool and threatening showers, I had other things to do, and I just couldn't get motivated, so went for a run instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home