Monday, March 27, 2006

Work is what I do between rides...

That was how today felt. I bike commuted today for the first time this year. Temps were in the low 30s at 6am, and the fingers got a little nippy, but it was a good ride. 15.4 miles in one hour even, for a 15.4 mph average. All day long, being a very slow day workwise, I spent doing miscellaneous personal stuff, mostly wandering the web. I also did some exploring of the Chicago area in terms of the logistics of extending that trip a week for a vacation - hotels, local transit, that sort of thing. There were a few work-related emails and issues late in the day, but I was having trouble staying awake by then, watching the clock, and looking forward to the ride home. Temps were now in the sunny 50s, but unfortunately, the wind had come up since the morning ride, and of course it was a headwind, 15-20 mph. I cut out a few minutes early, knowing I was already cutting darkness pretty close, and that it would take me somewhat more than an hour going home against the wind. And boy, was I right! Tough 15 miles, and it took me an hour and a quarter, with under a 13mph average. I had the taillight flashing well before I got home. I think now I'll probably skip the other two possible days this week, and wait for early May and DST. But I'm glad I did it, and worked out some of the details of HOW to do it - the packing, the route, etc. And the bike needs a little attention too, as I've discovered. The front wheel BARELY clears the fender stays, and it's a little out of true. So that needs to get straightened out, and the fender adjusted, if that's even possible. Got a month to get past it, and will be ready to go when the warmer weather comes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home