Wednesday, April 12, 2006

100 Miles...

Last evening's ride put me over the top. Between the earlier 30+-mile commute, and a bunch of 15-or-so-mile rides, I've now topped 100 miles for the season so far. The weather has finally warmed up, and an after-work ride is reasonable now. Morning daylight is still a little short, so commuting is still out, but I've been scouting routes in the meantime. If I add about a mile, I can cut out a whole bunch of nasty traffic. That change involves cutting through SUNY and going over to New Scotland instead of down Western and Madison, and is mostly on back streets. I can even cut out the New Scotland/Holland intersection by cutting through Sage and Albany Pharmacy. Looks really nice. Still exploring the possibility of the bike path from Rapp Rd. to Fuller Rd., but Fuller may have some problems. That would solve the last problem of the Crossgates/Exit 24 mess, which otherwise has no simple answer.

Got the front wheel trued on the old Gitane, grand total of $3.00, while I waited. Great service, Bill! Fender issues with that bike now seem to have disappeared, but still have an interesting "clink" on the Trek. Not so sure anymore that it's a rubber "nubbin" thing, and will have to investigate further. At a minimum, it's time to recheck the tightness of all the fender stay bolts. More rattles than I care for...

I've subscribed to an audio blog (podcast?) by a couple of guys biking from San Francisco to Pittsburgh, and am finding the audio format much more engaging than written trip journals. You can find it here:

http://bikeandsee.blogspot.com/

Otherwise, starting to think about a 3-day packing list for the Glimmerglass trip, monitoring a couple of other podcasts, and waiting for the season to get into full swing.

1 Comments:

At 12:13 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Caridad said...

Great to see that you found "bike and see". I'm switching there audio to hipcast.com We ran into some problems. They should have a new audio update soon.

Paul Sanchez
soloride.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home