Tuesday, September 05, 2006

More rain

MHCC Century Weekend is coming up, and it doesn't look like I'll be doing any riding at all this week in preparation - not good. 2 weeks off because of that Nashville trip, one 15-mile ride, then another week off before trying the biggest ride of the season. Definitely not good. When I get home at 5:30pm, it starts getting too dark to ride by 7:30 pm, and it's raining besides, there's not much else to do but go back to the trainer and put in some time. Plan to try that tomorrow morning and a few days following, if I can get my ass out of bed.

I've been thinking about that Glimmerglass "unsupported" tour some more. In this case, I was very lucky that it was only a dry run, and that Walt was on his way and was able to bail me out. But I need to think also in terms of "what if it really was unsupported?" What would I have done in that case? A couple of things come to mind. I think that pushing on to Sharon Springs was still the right move. It was mostly downhill from where I was, and once I got there, I was able to recharge, and take some time out to regroup. That was all good. I think the next step should still have been to stop for the day and try to find a place to stay, a motel if at all possible and within reach, if only to get out of the heat and humidity. Then, in the morning (if not sooner!), a walk-in clinic visit would have been a very smart idea, just for a once-over. After that, a lot would depend on my ultimate destination, length of trip, where I was in the overall scheme of it, the weather, and my general condition. In this particular case, if Walt hadn't been involved, and I was truly on my own, I would not have continued to Glimmerglass, but would have limped home by the flattest possible route. Presumably, that would have been something like Rte 10 to Canajoharie, then 40+ miles home along the river, still in extreme heat. If this had been part of a much longer trip, and I had the time, I may have waited out the two days of heat and continued on when it was over, but I didn't have that luxury this time.

Just trying to keep this in the perspective of a completely self-contained multi-month tour instead of the practice run that it was. Need to be prepared to stop and/or stay at various points along the way, depending on whatever may be happening, good or bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home