Sunday, July 23, 2006

Fully loaded test ride

Finally got the Glimmerglass packing list straightened out, and got everything into its assigned pannier. Looks like about 30-35 lbs total, so not too bad, and a little room to spare. Each front pannier is about 5 lbs, and the total on the back end, with tent, sleeping bag, and 2 panniers, must be about 20-25. Not a good front/back balance, but most of the heavier stuff is definitely in front. That omits a lot of food that I might otherwise carry, but I may wind up dropping some of this other stuff as I learn more.

Having done that much, the next obvious step was to load up the bike and see how it handled. Did the Kings/Lydius loop, about 13 miles. Front end was a little sluggish and skittish at the same time, but after a mile or two, it didn't seem that different or unusual. The major problem is the front pannier attachment method. Hit a bump on Old State going over the Thruway, and dropped a front pannier. Can't have that happening going downhill at 30 mph on Rt 20. Limped home to find a solution, and then, on the Hamburg St bridge, it happened again, or started to. I saw the left one half-detaching, and stopped to fix it. Failed to unclip in time, and tipped over onto the sidewalk, dumping both panniers. MY FIRST UNCLIP ERROR, and it was largely due to the odd balance of the loaded bike. When I got home, I think I found a different way to use the existing bungee attachments, and it seems to potentially solve the problem.

Overall, the riding wasn't that different from the riding I've been doing. Obviously, uphills will require lower gears, and downhill will require some additional speed control, but I think this is going to work out fine. This bike is certainly much more stable than I remember the Gitane being when I toured on it back in the 1970s.

Talked to Walt last week. It sounds like he wants to go to Glimmerglass rain or shine, biking or not. He's looking to get away for a few days. For me, that potentially means riding in whatever the weather offers up on July 31 - Aug 2. Those are the dates we tentatively agreed upon, and I'm not sure how easy they will be to change, for either of us. Time will tell...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home