Stretching it out
Today was the day for a longer ride. I pored over maps and Topo USA for an hour, and just couldn't decide where I wanted to go. I didn't seem to want just a random loop for the sake of a ride - I wanted to actually go somewhere. After much hemming and hawing, I finally decided to park at KAPL, cross the river, and ride down the north side to Waterford. There I'd cross over into Cohoes via the Peebles Island Bridge, and return via the bike path. So that's what I did.
Very nice ride down Riverview Road early on a pre-holiday Monday, with very little traffic. Followed Clamsteam Rd along the river, then up Church Hill Rd by Stewarts near the Crescent Bridge. THAT was a nice climb. Wound up on Middletown Road coming down into Waterford, wandered down to the wharf, where post-flood cleanup was in progress, stopped for some grapes and a drink, and just sat for a few minutes. Then, over the bridge to Peebles Island. Stopped at Cohoes Falls overlook, and they were still roaring pretty good. Confusing sign directed me up a side street to the bike path, which turned out to be an overgrown stub that ended near an old lock. Backed out, and went up Manor Ave and got on bike path. Fonda Road would have been a much better choice than this section, for future reference. Cruised through Colonie and into Niskayuna, where things got a little more crowded. Bike path from Blatnick Park to KAPL pretty rough, and the road would have been better. All told, this was 36.4 miles, with maybe 2000-2500 feet of climbing, none of it very difficult. Nice ride, with lots of variety. Love this bike, and the Brooks was no problem at all after that distance.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home