Sunday, June 25, 2006

US20

Drove back from Syracuse today via Rte 20. The hills around Cherry Valley and Esperance are really daunting, in both directions. It occurred to me just now, after looking at the route profiles again, that what I think I want to do, based on earlier research and route comparisons, is to bike TO Glimmerglass via US20, for all the previous reasons cited, but to bike BACK by the other route, via Dugway Gorge and either Canajoharie/Fort Plain, since the first 15-20 miles will be on back roads and exTREMEly downhill, and the rest will be relatively flat along the river. That avoids all of the huge US20 uphills on the return trip.

I now have a complete bike camping packing list, after comparing my own and others, and getting it all entered into Access. Now, I need to go through this, item by item, decide what's REALLY needed for this specific trip, and see if I can really carry what I think is needed. This plan is slowly starting to come together...

Need to call the Glimmerglass SP local number and talk to somebody about mid-week walk-in campsite availability. This trip will be very weather-dependent and short-fused once I come up with some choices of dates, so need to know whether that will be an issue or not. Shadow Brook CG would be a less desirable and very expensive alternative. Praise the Lord, etc...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home