Sunday, December 03, 2006

A sad addendum

On October 27 (see my post below), I came upon an accident where I saw a cyclist lying in the middle of the road. Law enforcement was on the scene, the situation was under control, I didn't recognize the cyclist, and I wanted to stay out of the way, so rode on. A few weeks later, I learned the identity of the cyclist. I was surprised that it was a familiar name, and that he was in very serious condition in a local intensive care unit.

I didn't know him well, but we had corresponded occasionally on club business years ago as members of the same volunteer organization. I had last talked to him about a year ago at a Christmas party for another organization we had in common. I didn't know very many other people at that party, but the two of us had a nice chat nevertheless. He was a rather elderly gentleman, had lived a rich full life, was still very active, and had many stories to tell. Today, I learned that he passed away earlier this week as a result of his injuries from that bicycling accident that I happened upon several weeks ago.

I have never seen an account anywhere of the circumstances of the accident, and should not have even speculated as much as I did below. The circumstances don't matter now. He's gone. Yet another cyclist has lost a battle with a motor vehicle. And that's sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home